Monday, March 17, 2008

Edits!

I've talked about the work-in-progress and the rewrites before, but what comes after that?

Once those are all done, and the book is as good as I can make it, I submitted it to my editor. Then I wait and see if it will be contracted.

If I get the word that the book is indeed contracted, I celebrate! Then the wait for edits begins.

Edits are the place where the work really gets fine-tuned and all the flaws (hopefully) get found and fixed.

I've been extremely lucky in the past three and a half years to work with six incredible editors. Each one has taught me so much and I continue to strive to improve with each book.

That's where I am right now--in the edits cave. Jackson's Jewel, book 5 in the Awakening Desires series, is now on my computer with yellow highlights, red lines, editor's notes, and punctuation that needs fixing. Beyond that, there are a few content issues that need to be addressed. I'm totally psyched!

I love this part of the process, even though some days it makes me want to tear my hair out. LOL It's hard work, but it is worth it. In the end the book will be stronger and something I'm very proud to put my name on.

So bring on the edits. I'll see you in a few days. :-)

6 comments:

Brynn Paulin said...

Good luck with the edits! Have fun :-)

Titania Ladley said...

**I love this part of the process, even though some days it makes me want to tear my hair out.**

Well put! It's all such a fun process, isn't it, from that bleep of an idea in your brain, to pubbed book? Good luck on those edits, hon. Looking forward to Jackson's Jewel. :)

Titania

N.J.Walters said...

Thanks, Brynn.

Absolutely, Titania. It is fun, even when it does want to make you tear your hair out. LOL

Shelley Munro said...

LOL - yes, sometimes edits do make me want to tear my hair out, but you're definitely right. An editor's touch helps make a book sparkle.

Happy editing, NJ

Anny Cook said...

Ahhhh. Looking forward to Jackson's Jewel!

N.J.Walters said...

Thanks, Shelley.

Thanks, Anny. I'm very pleased with how Jackson's Book is turning out. :-)