Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Autumn Equinox



Depending on the calendar you're using, the autumnal equinox is on September 22 or 23rd this year. It depends on where you live in the world. Like it's spring counterpart, it is a day when the light and darkness are the same length. From here on in the days grow shorter.

It is also called Mabon, a pagan holiday which celebrates the harvest and pays homage to the coming darkness of the days ahead.

The weather has turned and the hillsides are beginning to be dotted with orange, red and yellow as the trees change color. The night are getting longer. It's a time of change, of celebration. Eat, drink and celebrate with family and friends. Enjoy the fruits of the harvest and look ahead to the coming months!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I happen to be a pagan and for me Mabon is tomorrow. It's my biggest holiday because I'm a follower of Demeter, the goddess of the harvest. So happy Mabon N.J.:-)

N.J.Walters said...

Happy Mabon, Kat. I hope you enjoy the holiday and celebrate with friends and family.

Shelley Munro said...

I'm definitely enjoying the change to spring. I think our daylight saving time changes next month. It will really feel like spring then.

Enjoy your autumn. I love the fall colors.

N.J.Walters said...

It's so strange to think about you going into spring, Shelley. This little blue planet of ours is truly amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing the hillsides in full blaze of color!

Unknown said...

The leaves here are already starting to change color. I think fall is my favorite season of all just for the beauty of Mother nature's paints. Winter is my fav because the bugs hibernate. LOL. But I do love the beauty of fall and the crispness in the air.

N.J.Walters said...

You do make a good point about winter. I'm not fond of bugs myself.

But, for me, autumn it it. My favorite time of year!