Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday, Monday


A question to ponder for sure. lol I'm a vegetarian, but I've been known to indulge in animal crackers a time or two.

Up very early this morning as hubby is gone on an overnight business trip and his flight left very, very early. It's eight o'clock and I've written 2K so far this morning. Not bad, but I think I need a nap.

Hoping this is a better week for writing as this has been a very slow summer for me. Some writers can write for long stretches at a time. I find I have about two hours in me for the day and I'm usually done. The old brain won't do any more creatively. I find it fascinating how different authors work--some need quiet, others can write anywhere; some write at night, others in the morning; some can write for long stretches, while others can only write in short spurts. Personally, I'm at my best in the morning before my brain gets cluttered with other things. And I need quiet. Can't write to music as my attention gets fractured.

I try to take weekends off from writing, not that it always works out that way, but I figure if I want to keep doing this for the next twenty-plus years I need to have some kind of schedule to keep from burning out.

Authors are always working--creating new stories, writing blog posts, checking social media and yahoo groups, working on advertising and promotional items, etc... The list is long and varied and can be overwhelming at times, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I love what I do and feel privleged to be able to do it. But living and working in the same space can leave you feeling like you're always working, even when you're not.

I'm thinking about taking August away from all the other distractions and concentrating solely on my writing. A lot will depend on what happens between now and the end of July. If I get my writing back on track, I'll simply keep on going as I am. But if I keep stalling, I'll probably unplug from eveything else for a while and throw myself into what I like to do best--writing!

Have a fabulous Monday.

Hmmm...now I want animal crackers. *g*

1 comment:

anny cook said...

Yes, it's been a summer full of distractions for sure!